The Hardy Monument
Please check opening times with the property
Tel. 01297 489 481
Postcode DT2 9HY
The Hardy Monument is a 72-foot (22 m) high monument erected by public subscription in 1844 in memory of Vice Admiral Sir Thomas Hardy, Flag-Captain of HMS Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar (not to be confused with the author Thomas Hardy, who also has local connections).
The monument is situated on a high chalk hill overlooking the English Channel in the Blackdown area near Portesham in Dorset. It was restored in 1900 by his descendants and given to the National Trust in 1938.
Black Down, Portesham, Dorset.