Please check opening times with the property
Tel. 01308 458703
Postcode DT6 3RJ
The fine façade, from the 16th century, is all that remains of the original building that now houses the Bridport Museum, in South Street. In 1931 Captain Alfred Codd purchased the building, "The Old Castle", and donated it to the town to be used as a museum and art gallery. Originally Codd bought it for £1,800.00 to house his own, large art collection. He then gave the building to Bridport Borough Council on the condition that the Council would pay for the necessary alterations to turn it into a museum and art gallery.
The Museum tells the story of the town's history from its origins to the present day with notable displays on artefacts from a nearby Roman hill-fort and the world famous rope and net making industries. As well as the permanent displays there is a programme of temporary exhibitions. Photographs, costume, lace, dolls, numismatics, and fine art are among the collections held. The Local History Collection contains a wide range of materials for people researching their local or family history.
The Coach House, Gundry Lane, Bridport, Dorset, DT6 3RJ.